Volt launches climate positive clothes
Volt launches climate positive clothes. Every piece bought is a way of fighting climate change.
Retail chain Volt takes an active role in the environmental “campaign” by letting all income from the collaboration go to CHOOOSE. This way, all sold items from the collection will contribute to combat climate change.
The collection features subtle brand elements like a CHOOOSE logo modified with Volt elements, in addition to loosely French translated details like “Choisir aujourd’hui” – CHOOOSE Today in French.
– Being «climate positive» can also be combined with fashion. By purchasing a garment from this collection, the consumers are also contributing to combat climate change reducing CO2 globally, says Toni Collin, Brand Director at VOLT.
Created to last
Learning that the textile industry is amongst the top pollutants, VOLT is making measures towards a sustainable pathway. Therefore, all items are made out of 100 percent Nordic Swan Ecolabeled cotton, that entails strict requirements for production, use of energy and water, packaging and transportation.
– We’re moving more and more towards ecologic cotton and Nordic Swan Ecolabeled clothing. In addition, we only use sugarcane bags, no plastic or paper. All printed material is FSC-certified. In general, we don’t curate brands that don’t fit our minimum standards of corporate social responsibility, says Head of Marketing, Thomas Hamre.
When flipping through the collection rack, it is apparent that the attention to detail has been present in the design process. The hoodie stands out as a solid and long-lasting item, with a double-layered hood and extended rib. The t-shirts, on the other hand, is soft and lightweight.
– It’s important to us that these clothes are of great quality and will last for a long time, says Mikal Strøm, Art Director VOLT.
Certified by the UN
Their efforts to act on climate change, both by choosing to produce by The Swan standards in addition to overcompensating through a portfolio of carbon credits, has now made them certified as an official part of the UNs climate program Climate Neutral Now.
Volt have decided to support renewable energy projects in India, to give back to the country were the production took place. In addition to creating clean, renewable energy, the projects meet at least three of the UN’s sustainability goals, which provide other positive effects for the local population.
– VOLT brings a positive and action-oriented message into a new sphere, therefore we think this collaboration is really exciting. Climate can also engage positively, and VOLT is leading the way with this project, says Andreas Slettvoll, CEO of CHOOOSE.
About the collection
- Available across all VOLT stores in the Nordics from May 2, 2019.
- Seven different styles, mainly t-shirts, sweaters, and hoodies.
- Every piece of clothing is a way of fighting climate change.
- The income will fund UN-verified projects in developing countries and emission permits from the EU
- Each garment sold will contribute to reducing between 8 and 15 tons of CO2, by canceling EU emission permits and Gold Standard UN-certified carbon credits. 15 tons is equivalent to more than the average footprint of a Norwegian throughout a year, or 130 fewer flights from Oslo to London (according to UN’s ICAO flight calculator for civil aviation).